Wednesday, January 26, 2011

happy birthday mom




Today is my mom's birthday and she would have turned 53. I love my mom so much and not a day goes by that I don't think about her. It is so hard on our whole family not having her around. I am so grateful for the gospel and for the temple ordances that allow us to be a family forever. Her most happy times are when we were all gathered together as one BIG family. I do not have very many pictures of her because my mom hated having her picture taken and so she would avoid the camera at all cost! My mom was wonderful and she would do anything for anyone. This one time when I was younger, probably like 11, her and the neighbor did not get along at all and so to try to make things better, my mom bought her a patio set for her deck. My mom loved doing things for people and especially her kids. My mom really loved her grandkids. She loved to give them candy and some of her Diet Coke. I know my mom would have really loved Shelby. Heavenly Father has a plan for all of us so cherish each and everyday and make sure you tell those you love that you love them. The thing that brings me such comfort with my mother's passing is that the week before she passed away, she had done the baptism temple work for her mother, her sister, her grandmother, and 2 other female relatives. The last time I talked to her on the phone we talked about this. She and her mother never had a really good relationship until right before my grandmother passed away because my mom was going to visit her frequently. So to be able to do that temple work for her and for her sister was a great blessing in her life. It was so touching how much it ment to my mom. I know Heavenly Father has a plan for us all and I am so grateful for mothers and for all they do for us. Even though I wish I would have learned how to cook more or at least had her recipies written down, I still am so grateful I had her in my life as long as I did. (it was my fault, I wouldn't listen to her when she tried to teach me some cooking things!) Also, a great book to read is called, "The Gateway We Call Death" by Russell M. Nelson. I hope to continue to learn to have the patience, love, and charity that my mother had.

3 comments:

  1. What a great tribute to a wonderful woman. I remember your Mom was the first person who sat and talked with me at a family reunion after I married Cody. I was so overwhelmed and she helped me feel comfortable and welcomed! She was such a charitable person, a great example to all who knew her! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful woman--I don't know why she wouldn't want her picture taken! Thank you for sharing this and your testimony of the Lord's plan. It's an example to me that your strong faith gives you comfort during those moments you must miss her so much.

    ReplyDelete